What's new

How worried are you about the RIAA & Subpoenas?

How worried are you about the RIAA & Subpoenas?

• I laugh at the RIAA. I'll do what I want.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I still use filesharing, but I use protections such as a proxy and the new K-Lite options

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I still use filesharing, but I don't share music anymore

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still use filesharing, but I don't share anything anymore

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I won't use filesharing anymore, but I download & share music elsewhere

• I won't use filesharing anymore, but I download (but not share) music elsewhere (leech!)

• I no longer download music

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I'm already protected, the RIAA will never find me

• I don't share music but I plan on changing my habits if the "shock and awe" spreads to other things

• The RIAA? Where? I wouldn't pirate, not even from Microsoft!! *RUNS*

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Damn pirates! Lock them all up!

• I don't live in America, the RIAA can kiss my ass

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters
OP
nephalim

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
What the? Responses before I finished the poll!

BTW, are you worried about it spreading to other industries? Is file-sharing doomed?

OP
nephalim

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I don't think I can, only moderators can edit polls AFAIK, but a moderator is welcome to add that option.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
I don't live in the USA, so I generally could give half a shit about whatever actions they may take.
But I do understand their point. Sharing files is basically stealing, and if the RIAA wants to protect it's property, they have the right to do so.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I don't live in the U.S either so I could care less too.
However i do little file sharing anyway :p

blizz

it's self defeating unfortunately since all it does is promote the newer secure forms of P2P

but many of the RIAA supporting companies have known since napster that they needed to establish a legit system for electronic music, and they've all failed to do so

plus they're not helped by the volume of crap they shove out onto the airwaves, nor the price fixing they do with singles...

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
blizz said:
but many of the RIAA supporting companies have known since napster that they needed to establish a legit system for electronic music, and they've all failed to do so

At least one that actualy works on the consumers terms. They wonder why many people don't subscribe in droves to those services:

1) I do not own a mac (no itunes)
2) I don't use internet explorer (no buymusic)
3) When I buy a pen, I don't want a pen that is chained to my desk, and I would rather not buy one pen for every desk I own, nor have to pay royalties for ink refills. (aka DRM, which eliminates all music services out there)

Lets see, why would I pay for something when the free alternatives have none of these limitations?

ra5555

N64 Newbie
I live in Canada, and I don't give them a @#$@. I would still buy records if they are really good (download to see) and as long as they don't cost over $20, however, if I only want one or two songs then I just download it.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
I chose the 'Europe' option even though I live in Canada, same shit.

But who the hell cares, the RIAA can't really do anything about sharing anyways; no matter what they say, look at how broad the sharing is.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
not worried about the RIAA.. very worried about what this world is going to be like in the (fairly near) future.

joel_029

Lead Guitarist
Well, lets see. They illegally search your comp in order to prove you have the files. So you can just counter it because they don't have a warrant to search your comp. So if you have a good enough lawyer, you could make them look like total retards. So I don't even see how they could legally take action.
You could also just wipe your HD, or transfer the files. They'd have no solid evidence.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
joel_029 said:
Well, lets see. They illegally search your comp in order to prove you have the files. So you can just counter it because they don't have a warrant to search your comp. So if you have a good enough lawyer, you could make them look like total retards. So I don't even see how they could legally take action.
You could also just wipe your HD, or transfer the files. They'd have no solid evidence.

No, when you fileshare, you are giving just anybody who wants it permission to look at the files on your computer. That has to be implied or else downloading any files, copyrighted or not, on the internet would be illegal, whether there is a conditional entry mechanism or not.

OP
nephalim

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Yes but they really don't have any evidence against you regardless. A filelist, whoopity-do, that's completely circumstantial and meaningless. Unless they actually download said files (which presents legal issues for THEM, if you want to get really technical,) and can PROVE it (which they can't,) they have no case. Even if they did, and can prove it, they still have no case. Even if they wanted to take you to court it would be extremely expensive and not worth their time. It's all one big scare tactic, and it sucks. Their subpoenas to ISPs to release IP address owner information based on nothing but their word is both illegal and ludicrous. If my ISP did give out my information, I would honestly sue them, and the RIAA, in a counter-suit. I bet I could even get private funding, Verizon has a case against them (although it's failing, despite the fact they are clearly in the right, unfortunately. Who says the American Justice System is the best is nuts. We're adopting a policy of "guilty until proven innocent - which we won't give them a chance to do.")

The RIAA is full of shit, and they are calling piracy the major problem when their own records don't even come CLOSE to showing this 4 billion lost to piracy. Actually, their OWN numbers would show piracy costing them about 110 million, and that's without even disputing their numbers.
In actuality, the artists they represent in 90% of cases would care less about the 50 cents a CD in royalties they are losing, if they are losing anything at all. The real problem is that filesharing and internet music pay system jeopardize such things as the single, which is now a thing of the past, and ridiculously priced CDs. Conventional music sales through labels is going to be a thing of the past in a matter of years - and the music industry is shitting in thier pants. You know what I think? FUCK THEM. It's about the ARTISTS, not about the people who produce the artists music and get nearly all of the money. And the music industry is responsible for the horrible downturn in music the past couple of years, where commercially made bands such as the backstreet boys and brittney spears have dominated the market. Good ridance. I have officially decided to boycot any new released commercially produced music and stick to the MASSIVE amount of free independent music that is soon to become the wave of the future.
The actual 4 billion they are losing is aparently the disparity between units shipped and units sold. What this disparity is, I don't know.
I REALLY hate that Hilary whatshername. The RIAA should be disbanded or completely remade, immediately.