What's new

Geforce 8500 gives me bluescreen

talker

Hi guys.
I'm trying to install my new videocard, a Asus Geforce 8500 GT PCI-E card into my computer.
I'm using the latest drivers and my systemspecs are:
600W PSU
AMD Althon 64 x2 Dualcore
1GB Ram.
Windows XP Pro. 64bit

Everytime I try to watch a video or do something with graphics i'm ending up with bluescreen. This is quiet annoying.

Text from the bluescreen error: *** STOP: 0x000000DA (0x00000000000004 00. 0xFFFFFADFBAC000, 0X0000000000000420, 0x0000000000000)

smcd

Did everything work before the new video card? Checked your RAM? Checked connections are secure and dust free? Latest drivers? (Yes, you said you are. OK, next question) Check for IRQ conflicts? That's about all the help I can suggest off the top of my head.

OP
talker

talker

Did everything work before the new video card? Checked your RAM? Checked connections are secure and dust free? Latest drivers? (Yes, you said you are. OK, next question) Check for IRQ conflicts? That's about all the help I can suggest off the top of my head.

Everything was working fine before I got this card. Everything is dustfree. The computer itself is about two months old.

How do I check my Ram and how do i check for IRQ conflicts?
(Actually, what is IRQ?)

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
for RAM download a tool called memtest. Dowload it in ISO format, bun it into a CD, and boot from it, and test it

OP
talker

talker

My I such just forget the 8500 card and buy a new one.

What should I choose between a:

- XFX GeForce 8800GTS 650M 512MB GDDR3, PCI-Express 2.0

and

- Sapphire Radeon HD 2900 PRO 512MB GDDR3, PCI-Express.

My usage is photoshoping, video editing, playing of h.264 movies and playing some games in Project 64.

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
i woudn't get the Radeon HD 2900 Pro as it uses alot of power but you could nearly the same peformence with a Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 and it uses a lot less power and it's cheaper :)

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
get the GTS 512MB, its faster then the 3850.

and you can count on nvidia drivers to give decent Emulation experience, unlike ATI's bugvers

Clements

PCI-E 2.0 cards will work in PCI-E 1.x slots, since PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatible.

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic

and you can count on nvidia drivers to give decent Emulation experience, unlike ATI's bugvers
Oh, tell me about it...My previous ATI card was shit, lots of bugs, configuration issues, etc. Go for Nvidia, always works for me.

Cyberman

mudlord unfortunately speaks the truth. ATI seems negligent in it's proper driver support. Nvidia invests more money into support so they are winning the card race as a consequence. The reason is people don't percieve the difference between the hardware and the software, all they care is DOES IT WORK. If it doesn't the card may be technically superior, it will not matter though since there is no way to know that (because it won't work with the software they provided).

That is a reality I wish AMD would SPANK ATI into doing a better job. They need a serious attitude correction.

Cyb

You can get good emulation, and performance in anything else, from ATI too if you know what you're doing. I used ati for years before i swapped to nvidia on my last pc upgrade. Never had a problem running ANY emulator my system could handle, on any driver version. PS1, n64, snes, and anything else worked without a hitch. So Don't go spreading false information.

Also while also on the topic of the ati vs nvidia drivers part. Might i point out that nvidia hasn't had an official release in about 2 months, while i believe ati is still on their monthly schedule. Even if the ati drivers have issues it's good to see they can atleast release non-beta drivers more than once every few months or so.

And one more thing... before you praise nvidia drivers, look up information about things such as ut2004(and other unreal engine 2 games) stuttering on geforce 8 cards. That's been there, and they've known about it, since day one of geforce 8(end of 2006 i believe) and nvidia STILL hasn't fixed the issue in their xp drivers. So much for superior driver support eh...?

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
Also while also on the topic of the ati vs nvidia drivers part. Might i point out that nvidia hasn't had an official release in about 2 months, while i believe ati is still on their monthly schedule. Even if the ati drivers have issues it's good to see they can atleast release non-beta drivers more than once every few months or so.

And one more thing... before you praise nvidia drivers, look up information about things such as ut2004(and other unreal engine 2 games) stuttering on geforce 8 cards. That's been there, and they've known about it, since day one of geforce 8(end of 2006 i believe) and nvidia STILL hasn't fixed the issue in their xp drivers. So much for superior driver support eh...?

You have completely missed the point.

I was referring to ATIs OpenGL implementation, not general driver stability. I have nothing against ATI, except its shoddy OpenGL ICD, which comes from bitter personal experience with programming for these cards.

Clements

ATI's Linux drivers are particularly poor compared to NVIDIA. ATI is okay if you never touch Linux.