What's new

Gamecube Ripping...

Penguins

K, I know the PSO thing, and that's how it is done. For those of you who don't know: Gamecube games are different than regular. The data is on the inside, and the ToC is on the edge of the disc, so even though you can rip a game with a pc, it won't be able to read it right. So, I was wondering if it is possible to write a driver (which would mean restarting everytime you wanted to switch back and forth) to read the disc as a gamecube would.... Or maybe a wrapper to think that the drive is a gamecube drive...

I posted this here because Jabo and Zilmar are the best when it comes to emulation and such like this.

Penguins

Sercio

A driver for a CD Drive isnt possible! Windows drivers has nothing to do with the CD Drive properties! Its everything saved in the firmware which cant be changed .... and even someone could "flash" his drive with his self madet firmware then it wouldnt work with our one because every drive does has his own firmware! The only possible way is to manipulate the Gamecube Drive by using some "tools" which the description is illegal and against the rules here!
*and i think gamecube disc are rotating in a different way as CD/DVD´s therefore it would be the next problem to change the gear of the drive ;)

OP
Penguins

Penguins

true true. i wasn't sure if it ran backwards or not. I knew that everyone had there own firmware (duh). but im not sure if you can just reverse the rotation in the cd drive. maybe it'll be easier to make my own cd drive by messing up a gamecube...

Penguins

S

Sasuke3.0

Gamecube disc don't run in reverse, they're just encrypted.

The only way to read a gamecube disc is to disable EDC (Error Detection Code) on a DVD drive firmware.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Everything has a driver, but as we know, gamecube discs cannot be read by a standard DVD drive. They just weren't designed for it. If they were, we would have seen driver updates / programs / hacks / whatever by now.

Sercio

Cd drivers are plug n play arent they? Do i need install a driver? Even if yes where could i insert the driver cd ;) ?

Last edited:
OP
Penguins

Penguins

Cd drivers are plug n play arent they? Do i need install a driver? Even if yes where could i insert the driver cd ;) ?

Kinda. You have to restart the PC you are using to put it into effect. (Kind of like PJ64, when you change the plugins during the middle of a game.) Then to turn it back, return the driver back to the one that came with your cd drive.

Penguins

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Rule #9 fits this thread to a T. Lets see if anyone else picks up on it. Not to mention it lacks relavance to emulation or simulation of their contents.

S

Sasuke3.0

Everything has a driver, but as we know, gamecube discs cannot be read by a standard DVD drive. They just weren't designed for it. If they were, we would have seen driver updates / programs / hacks / whatever by now.

actually, this one dude hacked his dvd drive firmware to read Gamecube discs, its all right here

EDIT: and Penguin, in your first post in this topic, you're mixing up the playstation(2) discs with gamecube discs.

Last edited:
OP
Penguins

Penguins

Rule #9 fits this thread to a T. Lets see if anyone else picks up on it. Not to mention it lacks relavance to emulation or simulation of their contents.

This in no way breaks the Emutalk rules. I am not asking how to rip a game, or where to get roms, I was asking if it is possible to write a driver to rip gamecube games. I was just curious. I am not asking where to get one, or details as to how to write one.

Penguins:):p

WhiteX

I was asking if it is possible to write a driver to rip gamecube games

If it is possible to have a software to rip a GC disk, so you´re asking if it is possible to have a different method than the already known to ripo a GC disk, i say all is possible, it is just forbidden to ask for it here.

OP
Penguins

Penguins

im not asking for a different solution. I am asking if this one wat is possible, as I would just like to know, I don't care if any other way is. Just in theory, I was wondering if it was possible. Besides this is off topic. But thanks for that bit of info, that could be handy

Penguins

Azimer

Emulator Developer
General GC Emulation Rule #9: DO NOT...

Discuss circumvention of Gamecube's copyright protections.

Rules Thread last modified January of last year. If you are discussing it in context of emulation I would let it go... but you're not.