What's new

@ES - MorphX Beta 1 Released

aru

Usually i would start with a joke like "Introducing the IPAD!! err... Introducing the new @ES!" but i guess its time to get serious and finally show the long awaited application i've been teasing for such a long time. the reason why it took so long its because of the lack of time, dedication and also because i was never happy with the tests i did. anyways lets start!

Short story about @ES:
The project was originally written by my wife about 4 years ago. it started as a VB6 application(the language she use) and the goal at that point was to replace Winamp and Windows media player because she definitely dislike those applications. with the time she progressed quite well until she got stuck :( since i started to learn VB6(used to code in C++ but the company i worked for wanted me to choose between VB6 or .Net which i obviously denied due to my hate against the .net technology at that time). since i took over the project @ES got some nice features including the one already known as the "Emu-Grabbing method" which was the result of a mistake while coding a crazy code just for fun. after all those years the project turned to be my main project since am unable to work on a bigger project due to the lack of time... however the project at this point in time isn't as small as it once was but quite big i would say :p

WTH is @ES???
@ES stands for "@ruantec Entertainment Software" and its goal is to unify all possible Emulators into 1 single application while offering nice GUI design as well as menu design etc. and at the same time trying to keep things 'organized'. it also offers some extra features since the very first version such as Audio and Video playback through Directshow which means that if the file type is in the filter and the right codec is installed you can basically play every single multimedia file with it. to be honest it is even hard for me to explain what kind of app @ES actually is because it works like a frontend but in its functionality such as the grabbing feature its totally different.

What's the point on release a beta?
The only goal of this beta release is to collect ideas and also bugs that may help me to improve this app with the time.

What's required to run the app???
- Windows XP or higher.
- DirectX for rendering.
- .Net framework 4.0
- A resolution of 1280+(because of the new design)
- Multi-threaded capable CPU
- The Emulators you need(only the one listed in the Settings file)
- Some Roms/Games.
- A Gamepad or just use your keyboard :p

Features:
Watch this youtube video to see some of the features included in this beta.

Before you can run any Emulator you should first edit the settings file and edit the paths or emu-ids required:
settings.jpg

Understanding the Settings structure:
The settings structure is very simple and right now i has two 3 main sections which are: <<Main>>, <<EmuSections>> and <<Emulators>>. all 3 ends with '>>Out' which indicates the end of the section to execute. the values are stored inside each one and they are separated in different ways depending on the section they are like this:

<<EmuSections>>
for example:
PSX::A very popular console due to its large library of games and cheap price.::NONE:: PSX.png::26:: Playstation
=
Console:: Description::Extras(not used yet):: Picture::EmuID(see <<Emulators>>)::Consolename

The EmuID indicates the emulator to execute and grab at the time you choose a game and its very helpful when more than 1 emulator is required in a section like in the case of PS1 where few people main play some games using ePSXe but then others using pSX and so on.

<<Emulators>>
for example:
1::ePSXe PSX Emulator::E:\Emulators\PSX\epsxe170\ePSX e.exe::ePSXe
=
EmuID:: Description:: Path::Emulator name

As previously said.. here you add an Emulator giving a unique ID of your choice which you are going to use in the EmuSection. after you configured both of them you're ready to go.

How to:
How do i add Roms/Games???
Each time you enter a section you will see a message in @ES screen telling you that no items were found and that you should drop the folders containing your Roms/Games/Audio/Video files. note that @ES do not support single-file drop but you have to drop the folder containing them and @ES will list the files required for the section you're currently in. if you don't know what am talking about then watch this pic as it may help you to understand what i mean a bit better:
  Spoiler:
found.jpg

WTH??? there's no option to change the Wallpaper! how do i do that?
Am a weird programmer and i have a weird way of doing things... one of them is the famous drag and drop and by dropping a picture to the main screen you're are able to change the wallpaper anytime.

You was zooming and moving the Wallpaper and Albumart in one of your videos... how the hell do i do that???
Very simple... just press click and hold the pic then move around and to zoom just use your mouse-scroller :D

Ok, gotcha but can i do the same with a video while is playing???
Hell yes!!! actually its just another crazy idea of mine that maybe some of you may like.

WTF!!! i moved the Wallpaper/Albumart/Video out of the screen and i don't know how to get it back...
Don't toy around next time :p ... on a more serious note: the code isn't complete yet and atm there is no way to get it back to the main position(it should be possible in the next beta tho.)

My list is huge, where is the scroller???
By moving the mouse the right part of the list(the console selection list has no scroller) a scroller will appear allowing you to scroll anytime but its going to dissapear if you move the mouse away from it.

Context menus:
Two areas contains context menus and those are the main one(Wallpaper) and the audio controls one. if you don't know what am talking about then check out this picture:
context.jpg

Bug, report and ideas:
Feel free to post any bugs or ideas here as its going to help me to improve my app.

Compatibility issues and things i should know:
There are 3 Emulators that are giving me pain right now and those are ePSXe, PJ64 and DeSmuME.

ePSXe:
To make it work propertly set the windowed resolution of your GPU plugin to match @ES natural resolution of 512x384 like this:
epsxe.jpg

PJ64:
To make it work propertly set the windowed resolution of your GPU plugin to mach @ES natural resolution of 512x384 like this:
pj64.jpg

DeSmuME:
Due to some rendering problems the newest version(0.9.6) do not work as i expected and only the old one(0.9.4) works propertly.
DS.jpg

How many tests/version of @ES have you written so far???
this ones:
The Iphone skinned @ES:
iphone.jpg

The Iphone skinned one is probably one of the most advanced versions of @ES and at the same time due to design flaws the most resource intensive one.

a video can be seen here:
The Gray-Fox @ES:
custom.jpg

The second most advanced one. it includes emu-grabbing as well as other nices effects and its less resource intensive than the iphone one by far.

The PSP @ES:
The same as the Gray-Fox one but it has a nice PSP skin ^_^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Special thanks to you for downloading and using my app and to all my mates and testers that helped me all this years such as Schumi, Darksamus, Hard Core Rikki, Snkmad(Mad), KrossX, Shendo, Lord_Snow, Topken, Zack, Phil, Squall, Mudlord, Hatorijr, Xtreme2damax, Strike105X, Bigig, Chossy, Desred, Dax, Nosound97(Mike), P.Rep, PCXL-Fan, Prafull and many others i probably forgot. last but not least to every Author of those awesome emulators supported by @ES.

Regards
@ruantec

----------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

I just uploaded a quick fix that fixes the following bugs:

1. Crash when adding large audio libraries.
2. Double-item when adding a single folder.
3. Play button visible even if a new video is being rendered.
4. Some consoles do not display the roms added even if they are valid.
5. Drop a pic to the main layer didn't worked so you couldn't add a custom wallpaper.
6. "Set albumart as wallpaper" displayed an error message.

More is comming soon with the next beta but sadly i didn't had much time today to work on it.

Download

last but not least here some pictures that shows the GUI and design:

audio.jpg

console.jpg

main.jpg

video.jpg

Last edited: