What's new

DOL file format

|\/|-a-\/

Uli Hecht
again i searched and searched gooogle, and didn't found anything useful for the DOL gamecube executable file format. yagcd describes not very much about it. what's the difference between "file positions", "mem addresses" and "section sizes"?
i looked in a hex viewer, the first 30 bytes in pong.dol are 0 except one of them (don't know which). but i didn't saw anything about addresses ?!

thakis

I don't mean to sound offensive, but perhaps you might want to start with something easier than the cube...the dol information in yagcd is quite detailed, if it's not enough for you you might need to learn some basics first. Emulation is a lot of guesswork ;) If you're serious however, you can check gcube's and dolwin's source, they are able to load .dol files of course. HTH.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
|\/|-a-\/ said:
again i searched and searched gooogle, and didn't found anything useful for the DOL gamecube executable file format. yagcd describes not very much about it. what's the difference between "file positions", "mem addresses" and "section sizes"?
i looked in a hex viewer, the first 30 bytes in pong.dol are 0 except one of them (don't know which). but i didn't saw anything about addresses ?!

check out this link:
http://www.gc-linux.org/docs/yagcd/chap14.html

OP
A

|\/|-a-\/

Uli Hecht
who R u?

yes, the cube is very hard to start with emulation. but i thought i can't learn that much from starting with chip8 emulation (don't know exactly what it is, but everybody talks about it, and it seems to be easy) or the NES. I have no idea 'bout the sense of NES HLE :bouncy:. First i've chosen the ngc, cus i thought there exist enough N64, gameboy and nes emus. Now I searched and worked out informations on the gc for days. so now its time to stop? all this work for nothing... :huh: :plain:

i think it's very funny so much people with knowledge are answering, but who are they? have y'all also ngc emulator projects??? or do you collect informations for fun (i don't believe)

thanks for helping me, the dolwin source code also did!!! i'm happy dolwin is open source :bouncy: (<-- those strange smileys on this board haha :))

Last edited:

Azimer

Emulator Developer
You should just begin somewhere with as much information as you have gathered. Think about it like building a house. You don't need the carpet right away, nor do you need the windows. Just pour the foundation and worry about the less important details later.

OP
A

|\/|-a-\/

Uli Hecht
yeah man, that's right!
but where tf is the "foundation" in writing an emulator?
btw i don't know why emulation fascinates me that much... the work on it isn't the same as developing other stuff :huh:

Azimer

Emulator Developer
The "foundation" of any emulator is to setup the memory map, load in an image/disc, and begin/finish emulating the CPU opcodes. Once you begin to access HW map memory, you need to begin emulating those other important things. That is "how to write an emulator" in its easiest form.

OP
A

|\/|-a-\/

Uli Hecht
can you give me a tip what i've to search in google to find out those things.
memory was the topic i often tried to avoid, cus i don't know anything about it.

thanks for your answers!!!

Azimer

Emulator Developer
yagcd has the information... ages ago, I also write a small document.
http://www.apollo64.com/gc/Memory Map.htm

Basically map the cached and uncached memory locations to a 24MB section of memory and you will have a memory map. This should also make clear what the memory address location of the dol file specification means as opposed to file offset.

ZeroGamerX

Is it possible make .GCI format to .Dol. I on net notice DOL2GCI, because it would cool to load game save with GC Tool. Any info this?