What's new

Digital Cable

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Well, this isn't about computers, but it's close. I moved from Queens, NY, to Lake Carmel, NY (Putnam County.) My digital cable now sucks. Before I had a guide that was 5 times better, svideo and coax digital outputs, and on demand channels for each movie channel (except starz) and on demand pay-per-view. Now, instead of the above, I get local channels that originate their broadcast from an ANTENNA. Yep, you heard that right.
Anyways, since there is nothing I can do about the local channels but get DirectTV, which I don't want to do because I don't think it will ever have on demand services due to it's one-way connection, is there anything I can do about the guide & outputs? I tried plugging in my old digital box with no luck (it says in a big bold sticker on the bottom that it won't work with any cable provider than Time Warner Cable, "EVER.") Can I buy one? Do they offer digital cable through broadband? (they should.) Argh, i'm really annoyed I lost my excellent cable service...

Vchat20

I havent had this experience myself but I know what kind of box you are talking about. we have 2 of those in our house also. I dont think you can buy one as a consumer. they are only sold to corps. like Time Warner, Comcast, etc.. your best bet at thsi point for any kind of increased features is to get a Digital TV Tuner for your computer.

Vchat20

basically you have one channel which is interactive in a way where it has mltiple menus you can scroll through. and you select a show or something and you can watch it when you want. and you can control it like a vcr just by using the > , >> , << , ||, and ∖ buttons on your remote.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I just use a directv/tivo combo unit; it records the digital mpeg-2 bitstream from the satellite directly to the units hard disk (no image quality loss at all when recording shows), and you get to fast forward/rewind livetv n shit. So far as on demand, its sort of a tradeoff. You can set a wishlist so that it automaticaly records and saves movies on the movie channels (which is usualy good enough for most people, as they can still watch the movie any time they want to). Not only that, but you get to use the same features on your normal channels to record stuff like e.g. the simpsons. You also get to skip the commercials to boot.

BTW, the video quality of digital cable does not even compare to directv. I would search around for a local try before you buy deal just to compare the quality of directv vs your local cable service, and for $99 you can upgrade to a directivo unit (which normaly cost $300). Also, if your subscription tier is in the $40+ range, the tivo service is free, otherwise its $5 a month.

Last edited:
Thanks Vchat20 & AlphaWolf for clearing that up for me, I thought it was something like TiVo, but I didn't want to sound like a big idiot if it had nothing to do with it.

Dam, I wish I had money to speed on a DirecTV box, I also have DirecTV, but with a six year old SONY box and an almost dead remote, well the box hasn't let me down...yet, but the remote has let me down a long time ago.

AlphaWolf, do you get all the local network channels (I don't mean local area, I mean like, CBS, NBC, ABC & FOX for NYC and LA) I'm just wondering?
I only get NBC & ABC!

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
URAMetroid said:
AlphaWolf, do you get all the local network channels (I don't mean local area, I mean like, CBS, NBC, ABC & FOX for NYC and LA) I'm just wondering?
I only get NBC & ABC!

Well, I work a bit outside of the normal subscriber system, so I get EVERYTHING :p

BTW, directv has a special right now where you can get a tivo unit for $99, which is way below what it costs to make them.

AlphaWolf said:
Well, I work a bit outside of the normal subscriber system, so I get EVERYTHING :p

How did you do that?
You don't have to tell if don't want too.

BTW, directv has a special right now where you can get a tivo unit for $99, which is way below what it costs to make them.

That's a grate price, but I don't have the money to get one even at that price :down:, but sometime down the road I will get one, but not right now.

Did you add a second HDD to yours?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
URAMetroid said:
How did you do that?
You don't have to tell if don't want too.

It's a secret :D

URAMetroid said:
Did you add a second HDD to yours?

Yeah, added a turbonet adapter too (basicaly allows an S1 unit to connect to an ethernet so you can extract the video directly off of the units hard disk).