What's new

Daemon Tools 4.0 released

smcd

Sorry I didn't see a "submit news" thread or something so I stuck it in Talk of the Town... Daemon Tools v 4.0 is released! from their site http://www.daemon-tools.cc

Notes regarding the 4.0 release
Dear DT-Community,

today, we release the new V4.00.

As we already heard from our customers, it fixes indeed most or even all blacklists - however, it is STILL a SCSI-Emulator, therefore it's still necessary to remove present IDE-Drives!

As nearly all protections now block ALL SCSI-Drives, no matter if REAL or VIRTUAL, you need to DISABLE your ide-drives! This version is more or less only a "next step", it does NOT contain an IDE-Jammer atm. However, we are working on it and will hopefully have it ready soon. So be warned - do NOT complain about the "lack" of the IDE-Jammer-Device. We release it now, as is. It fullfilles its job as long as no IDE is present in System or you otherwise block that IDE-nodes. After all it's STILL free!

Another important change is the integration of ADWARE. Yes, we need that revenues. However, we decided to let YOU choose to run it with ADWARE and support us - or simple turn it OFF in installation-process and run it same way as former versions - without ADWARE. By default, it is turned ON - to not install that ADWARE, please UNCHECK at installation "DAEMON TOOLS SEARCHBAR" (or you can remove it anytime later when you wish via "Control Panel"-> "Add/Remove programs")

We leave that decision to you, so please don't blame us that we did it that way. It was a compromise to continue the free support - we would much appreciate it if you install that ADWARE-stuff. We set- up a special forum so please post in THAT forum only about questions, concerns or anything else that is related to that ADWARE. The forum's name is "DAEMON Tools Searchbar".

To sum it up:

- NO IDE-Jammer atm - we are working on it! No ETA for it - it's done when it's done!
- ADWARE INCLUDED - you can, however, UNCHECK that ADWARE at installation!

The changelog for V4:

* complete redesign from scratch
* support of 4 virtual drives
* ONLY X32-supported now. X64 will follow
* Drivername randomly generated on each machine (not finished yet)
* Drive-vendor and versionnumber randomly generated
* Complete new emulation architecture
* DCP (DaemonCodeProtect) to make analyses harder and increase development time for malicious anti-DT tools
* Digital signature verification of applications who are trusted to access DT in secure mode
* AutoInsertNotification fully implemented (can be turned on/off at ControlPanel)
* Dropped: MS-Installer, DT now use modificated NullsoftInstaller
* Dropped: analog sound support (as Windows 2000 and above do not need this feature)
* supports all popular copyprotections

Again: This version is an "in between" step to fix latest issues not only with protections but also many other issues and installation-problems. We work hard to release soon next update!

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Old... The only thing that keeps me away from installing it is the "bad cdi images" compatibility... I really don't feel like rebooting ~10 times in order to install DT v3.29 after finding out that "bad cdi images" are not supported in version 4.

If someone has the time to confirm that he doesn't get I/O control errors on some selfbootable Dreamcast games using DT v4 then I might actually get rid of DT v3.29

OP
smcd

smcd

The adware is optional thankfully; otherwise i'd not use it. As far as functionality goes, I don't see any difference between 3.47 except this version bitches about not working if you have a kernel level debugger enabled for some reason. I'll probably roll back & keep using 3.47 (maybe there are improvements on using copy-protected images but since my images don't have that it's nothing to me :p)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
If you disconnect your IDE drives it works perfectly, unfortunatly true... i've tried it. But I don't really want to do that because then I can't burn dvds or read them for that matter.