What's new

CPU and Framerates

eXentric

There is no spoon.
I suppose I am lucky enough to have a machine that emulates well. Running at 1024 x 768 I can easily get Sonic to 40 FPS at CPU 100. The problem is that the game PLAYS too fast with the CPU at 100.

So, am I correct in understanding that the FPS is directly tied to the speed of emulation? I know this is generally the case with console games because their speed is based on the clock cycle of the TV (60Hz for NTSC). But PC games are not directly tied this way and since I'm running Chankast in VGA mode I hoped it wouldn't be either.

If they are in fact tied, why is there no framerate limiting option like their are on other console emulators? Is this just a feature that the Chankast developers have not implemented yet? Or am I missing something else? I really just want to play my Sonic at regular framerates. That damn hedgehog already runs too fast! :p

Thanks all,

eXe

chankabrazil!!!

exe, hello!!!
try press a - button in numeric keyboard (it´s in the right side of the same keyboard)
pressing this button you take down the velocity of the CPU emulated, so the game will run more slowly!!! :bouncy:

viva the emulators!!

OP
E

eXentric

There is no spoon.
But, for some people lowering the CPU makes it go faster, and raising it make it go slower, like my computer

Mine too Greasy. But I've found it behaves differently on different games. Like on Sonic Adventure 1, I have to set it to 200 to get the game to run at around 30 FPS. But on Crazy Taxi 2, I have to turn it down below 100. :huh:

Also, Chankabrazil, that only partially answered my question. I already knew you could use the +/- keys to adjust the CPU manually, but that doesn't solve the problem. Even when I set the CPU manually to 200 in Sonic Adventure, the framerate still fluctuates fairly dramatically depending on what's going on in the game. If you look at other emulators like PJ64 or SNES9X there is an option to limit the framerate. Under PJ64 this is in the System menu and it's called Limit FPS. This option is basically a dynamic adjustment of the CPU. It does it's best to always keep the framerate at exactly 30FPS.

Another option, BTW, is to use the sound emulation as a timing clock. Since sounds have to be played at an exact sample rate (22Khz for example) you could sync the render chain to the audio clock and effectively limit the FPS. This option has the added benefit of helping the on-screen graphics to be more closely synchronized with the sound effects. In PJ64, you can turn off the Limit FPS option and then go into Options -> Configure Audio Plugin -> Sync Game to Audio.

It seems that some emulators that offer both options do better with Limit FPS while others do bettter with Sync Game to Audio. I personally prefer Sync Game to Audio, but I'd like to see either of them as an option in Chankast. :teehee:

greasyspoon

I only play Shenmue 2 with chankast because its the only DC game I've wanted so bad but I could never get it, then I found chanka. Would anyone know why when I play Shenmue 2, while I have more than one different person in my view, the framerate dramatically decreases. My System Specs are :

Intel Celeron D
2.67 GHZ
512MB DDR SDRAM
Stealth S85 With Radeon 9250 128MB.

Note: My video drivers are up to date