What's new

Can't get N64 emulators to work...

dweber5

Hi, I'm kinda having some troubles. The only emulator I can get to work is Nemu64.... which is good and all, but I would like to try the others as well. I mainly wanted to use Project64, but I can't get anything else to work. I have all the new recommended plugins and the newest versions of the emulators. I have tried every setting I found in FAQ's and other posts and nothing's worked. Every game is REALLY slow. It drops down to 6 fps and I have the limit set to 60. Here's my specs...

Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz
256MB RAM
64MB ATI Radeon (I have the recent drivers for this too)
Sound Blaster Live! Value
Windows 98SE

I got Nemu64 to work almost perfectly, but a lot of games end up locking up and don't have all that great of graphics. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, because if Nemu64 works so well the others should too shouldn't they?

Acorn

Sounds like you did your research and tried hard before comming here.

Thats awsome! But...

Does it do this with every emu except nemu? All of them?

Do "normal" PC games run full speed?

OP
D

dweber5

I've tried 1964, Apollo, Project64, and TR64. I was told that those were suppose to be the best ones to try and have the best compatibility. I have the same problem in all four.

All other programs I've used work great. I even have a playstation emulator and it works perfectly with barely any problems. I haven't had any trouble with any pc games either. So I can't figure out what could be wrong. It's so weird because my computer is fast as hell with everything else. I'm stumped.

Quvack

Is Jabo's gfx plugin set to Direct3d? (like it should be)

or are you using RGB? (which is really slow)

I'm only guessing ur using Jabo's, most people seem 2 :p

OP
D

dweber5

Yup, I'm using Jabo's Direct3D6 1.30 and it is set to Direct3D.
Here's my current setting I have for it...

Rendering Device: Direct3D HAL
Windowed Resolution: 640x480
Full Screen Resolution 640x480x32
(other boxes NOT checked)

RSP Code Simulation: <I think this sets itself>
Geometry Transforms: External (I tried Internal and that didn't work>
Enable Fog NOT CHECKED
Use 32-bit textures CHECKED (unchecked didn't work either)
Change Blending Mode CHECKED (unchecked didn't work)

Frame Buffer Emulation: Copy Frame
(All boxes checked)

scorch56

Hate to tell you this guy... but it's probably your Radeon. Just so you know that I know what you're talkin' about...

My specs are:

Celron 566 oc'ed to 850
384 mb of PC100 SDRAM
32 meg Radeon A-I-W
Diamond Monster mx-300 sound card
Abit BX-133 RAID mobo

Plugin developers... for the most part... work on Nvidia or 3Dfx cards (after all... who would buy a Radeon?) therefore their plugins are mostly optimized for them.

You're a Radeon owner... right? Unfortunately... so am I! How many times in the past have you ran into this same scenario and explanation regarding PC games? Go to any ATI BB Forum and you'll figure it out. I ABSOLUTELY HATE my Radeon! (No... no ATI "fan-boy" here.). I bought this piece-o-crap a little over a year ago... and I'm STILL waiting for a set of fully-optimized; fully functional drivers. That's ATI's problem... they're in such a rush to be "Top Dogs" in the video graphics field that they NEVER optimize their last generation of cards before they release the next. Case in point...

What is ATI desperatrly churning out drivers for now? The 8500. We Radeon I owners (suckers) will probably never see a decent driver release ever. Have you noticed how quickly the updated driver releases stopped since the 8500 came out? Even the reviewer industry is getting wise to this nowdays. Just the other night TechTV did a review on the brand new Radeon A-I-W 8500. Their recccomendation? This card wasn't recommended for even the most "hard-core" tweaker or PC experts. The reviewer spent over 3 days getting it up and running in their test machine! But why are we Radeon owners NOT surprised? Even the reviewers are stating to say bad things about ATI's piss-poor track record when it comes to releasing weak release drivers; and their always subsequent lack of support OR ambition to improve on them afterwards.

One year later... I'm still waiting on working fog in about 80% of my games. Sacrifice, Giants and B&W still are buggier and graphically corrupted. ATI takes that same philosophy one step further in their game support... while these "breakthrough" games of last year have never been made to run right... I must say... I am pleased with the newer games like Aquanox and Wolfenstein. It seems to me that ATI ALWAYS forgets about the screw-ups they make right around a new card release... and they just move on and try to make better in the future.

My next card is a GF3 or heck... I'd even settle for a GF2 Ultra.

Oddly enough though... I CAN get PJ64; TR64 and 1964 to play SOME games pretty good... but each and every ROM needs separate tweaking through trial and error. Guess what? Nemu64 is the one emu I CAN'T get to run... no matter what! Go figure. Right now... I'm playing Zelda: OoT & Zelda2: MoM in PJ64 with 'nary a trace of corruption at anywhere from 35 to 45 FPS. I'm using the Jabo D3D plug-in for video and the Azimer Audio v0.20b rev 1.1 plug-in (I use the older Azimer plug-in because it's the only one I can adjust the buffer in and have it stick). My only problem is sound; pops, crackles and some choppiness... but the games are playable and look gorgeous!

I wish I could offer more advice to you... but I REALLY do think it's our vid cards.

I'll get down off my soap box now...

Ranger - X

scorch56:

Your Radeon can't be that bad, seriosly.

I've got a Radeon 7200 64MB DDR and I'm totally happy with it. All games/emulators work 100% with it. Image quality for one is by far superior to any other graphics card I've seen. As for speed, it sure kicks the crap out of a GeForce 2 64MB, but I don't want to squabble over something so immaterial.

dweber 5:

On Project 64 try this:

Graphics: Jabo D3D 1.4

Rendering Device: Direct3D HAL
Windowed Resolution: 640x480x32
Full Screen Resolution 1024x768x32

Radeons like 32bit colour a lot more that 16bit colour.

Do not check the Sort Independant Anti Aliasing. That is used to smooth out the image more and make it look better, but puts a lot of strain on your system. I know you have a very fast PC, but that option does not really improve the image quality that much at all.

RSP Code Simulation: <automatically set>
Geometry Transforms: Automatic
Enable Fog: Checked
Use 32-bit textures: Cecked
Change Blending Mode: Checked

Frame Buffer Emulation: None - This makes the biggest difference speed wise.

Leave all other boxes unchecked.

With Audio plugins you can play around. I've actually had some nice results with Azimers HLE plugin. When using this make sure to check "send Audio lists to Audio Plugin".

Make sure you use the Recompiler and not the Interpreter. The Recompiler is a lot faster and there aren't that many games that don't work with it.

I get 30 - 60 FPS in basically all the games. Diddy Kong Racing runs 60 FPS with sound, Perfect Dark 35 FPS with sound....and the occasional stutter.

1964 is probably a little faster than Project 64 in Perfect Dark.

My system specs:

AMD Duron 600
ATI Radeon 7200 64MB DDR
256MB RAM
Soundblaster VIBRA 128 (I know it sucks ass)

I also have Direct X 8.1 and the latest Radeon drivers loaded.

OP
D

dweber5

Awesome! I got Project64 to work now! I didn't think I would find anyone willing to help me if I have a Pentium 4. Thanks a lot!