What's new

Attention: Sandy Bridge owners, please contact your Mainboard manufacturer

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Intel have discovered a manufacturing defect in the Cougar Point ICH that causes progressive deterioration of the SATA 3Gb hub over a period of time in mainboards based on the P67/H67 chipsets.

The result is increasing CRC rechecks and decreasing performance.

Please contact your mainboard manufacturer for repair or replacement details.

Cyberman

I am an early adopter. My hope is inline with Anand's. Hopefully Intel will work with my manufacturer to give me a Z68 motherboard as a replacement. It doesn't sound like the issue is immediately present. With the extra voltage, the hardware gets weak allowing extra current to leak.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/the-source-of-intels-cougar-point-sata-bug

It's a design flaw that takes a while to show up on 4 of the 6 SATA channels. So if you only have hard drives on the 2 that it doesn't affect and DVD roms etc on the others, no big deal as it's a cumulative issue and takes a while to manifest itself. The problem is they have not specified which 2 ports that is in the articles I've read. hmmm

Fortunately it doesn't require a full redesign of the part just a 2nd metal layer change which means the fix is likely to be incorporated into newer systems. Intel estimated it will take tell April to replace the defective ones in the field. Hopefully they learned from there division error in the pentium to just replace the parts and not be idiots.

Intel has big monetary coffers so this will not affect there bottom line. Might actually improve it.

Cyb

Azimer

Emulator Developer
The Z68 chipset is suppose to be released in Q2. I am hoping they give us early adopters the chance to upgrade to the new chipset. Newegg sent me an email telling me my return policy is extended by 90 days or until a fix is released, whichever is greater. If Z68 is launching in April or May, I might just return the board and get one of those instead. We'll see.

My SSD and HDD are on the two SATA-III ports My opticals are on the SATA-II. I shouldnt have to worry until it gets fixed. If my opticals die, it's not a show stopper.

OP
squall_leonhart

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
It's a design flaw that takes a while to show up on 4 of the 6 SATA channels. So if you only have hard drives on the 2 that it doesn't affect and DVD roms etc on the others, no big deal as it's a cumulative issue and takes a while to manifest itself. The problem is they have not specified which 2 ports that is in the articles I've read. hmmm

Fortunately it doesn't require a full redesign of the part just a 2nd metal layer change which means the fix is likely to be incorporated into newer systems. Intel estimated it will take tell April to replace the defective ones in the field. Hopefully they learned from there division error in the pentium to just replace the parts and not be idiots.

Intel has big monetary coffers so this will not affect there bottom line. Might actually improve it.

Cyb

transistor degradation does not occur on a linear scale.

and according to some samsung F3 owners, their drives have died while being attached to these fooked sata ports.

Cyberman

Shipments to resume ...

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4212928/Intel-resumes-shipment-of-error-plagued-chip

And to squall_leonhart:

I've lost a hard drive and almost lost another to defective SIS parts so I know how that goes. As for 'what is what and when' it was stated that what you put on the affected is what matters. If you used the ports for a primary hd then it's likely to go a lot faster. The cycle times are measured in millions before degradation but if you look at the average number of read writes under windows you will be in millions within a few weeks on most gaming systems.

The other thing of interest, is that although say CD/DVD/BR drives have a LESS likely hood, windows itself WILL be to blame for the degradation. If you haven't noticed windows seemingly at random access resources periodically. CD/DVD/BR drives are included in this. When ever you open IE windows poles devices. Whenever you open 'My Computer' windows poles devices. Windows poles devices periodically based on the 'fast' search system for indexing, this includes your CD/DVD/BR drives. The big difference is windows can't as easily screw the CD/DVD/BR drive and the periodicity is significantly lower. That means it may take as long as a year to cause failure instead (as if that were a good thing).

The reason why those hard drives went south is, although HD have spare sectors have lots of redundancy etc. the manufacturer assumes that the primary controller is doing it's job correctly. With erroneous data being spewed to a hard disk there is no telling what will happen. What likely they noticed is random writing to locations within the disk itself. This likely will permanently corrupt the file system. You reformat right? Ok with a screwed up controller reformatting can be VERY BAD. You can also permanently DESTROY the disk because the commands being sent could also be random format commands that are suddenly stopped. This is an example of why you should have error correction and detection on ANY data channel including one that is assumed to be infallible such as an SATA or PATA channel.

My experience was a defective PATA channel. (I lost 3 years worth of work because of that).

Back to the story at hand:
Intel has apparently have not begun producing the corrected parts. About 100K + worth of bad parts shipped. That's about the equivalent of 200 to 500 300mm wafers (a LOT of parts). Lesson learned? Check your design with high stress levels before shipping.

Cyb

Last edited: