What's new

A question for Rice - could you fix Ogre Battle backgrounds?

adaml75

Well, let me say first that I really appreciate your work - you made great plugin, especially for those unfortunate people who (like me) don't have voodoo card. I have just one little question to ask - could you try to fix missing backgrounds in Ogre Battle 64?

Gonetz fixed that in his latest (0.7ME) version of Glide64. Unfortunately, no Glide wrapper works properly with OB64. Backgrounds are there, but sprites are missing! :-( You cannot have both, obviously...

But Gonetz released sources for his latest plugin and wrote that it's OK to use part of it in another one (ie yours). I'm no coder myself, so I can't say if it's difficult or not (and I bet it IS difficult) but I am sure that A LOT of people on this forum would owe you eternal gratitude for fixing this.

Best

Adam

Rice

Emulator Developer
Sure it can be fixed.

It is actually very nice to know that 1964.099 has JPEG decoding problem with this game, thanks, Gonetz, both 1964 0.99 and the video plugin need to be fixed for this game.

olivieryuyu

well with the glide64 0.7 some texture bugs appear link to the emulator (1964 0.99) and not the graphic plugin: as example doom 64 monsters or the title of donkey kong racing.

OP
A

adaml75

olivieryuyu said:
some texture bugs appear link to the emulator

True, but missing sprites is purely eVoodoo wrapper problem - and impossible to fix. There is even Gonetz's post about it at EmuXhaven (I forgot the link). Rice, please, fix it ;-)

olivieryuyu

I 'm not speaking about glide wrapper
sorry I've got a voodoo 2
I 'm comparing the behavior of glide64 0.7 with 1964 0.99 and pj64

the screenshot is taken with 1964 0.99
in pj64 there is no such a bug ....

Rice

Emulator Developer
olivieryuyu said:
I 'm not speaking about glide wrapper
sorry I've got a voodoo 2
I 'm comparing the behavior of glide64 0.7 with 1964 0.99 and pj64

the screenshot is taken with 1964 0.99
in pj64 there is no such a bug ....

I guess this is a plugin bug. Other plugins do not have this problem.

liteuser

I'll be Back!
Does anyone know how much better is eVoodoo 3.99 then 3.25 . I know you might say (try and find out) but whats your best guess and why since we do have this new plugin. sorry to be offtopic here .

Last edited:

willchu

Kick ass dude!!!!!

adaml75 said:
Well, let me say first that I really appreciate your work - you made great plugin, especially for those unfortunate people who (like me) don't have voodoo card. I have just one little question to ask - could you try to fix missing backgrounds in Ogre Battle 64?

Gonetz fixed that in his latest (0.7ME) version of Glide64. Unfortunately, no Glide wrapper works properly with OB64. Backgrounds are there, but sprites are missing! :-( You cannot have both, obviously...

But Gonetz released sources for his latest plugin and wrote that it's OK to use part of it in another one (ie yours). I'm no coder myself, so I can't say if it's difficult or not (and I bet it IS difficult) but I am sure that A LOT of people on this forum would owe you eternal gratitude for fixing this.

Best

Adam

Thanks adam for asking this favor... And of course, Thanks a million to Rice for coding it finally :) You kick ass man!!!

willchu

liteuser said:
I dont think its a core issue or a plugin issue with all versions cause mine doesnt do it (U) ! version. Im using glide64 0.7 me with evoodoo 3.25 and not having many problems at all and with default settings and thats on a geforce 4 mx. maybe its because you dont use a wrapper ? dont believe the hype

Edit: Does anyone know how much better is eVoodoo 3.99 then 3.25 . I know you might say (try and find out) but whats your best guess and why since we do have this new plugin. sorry to be offtopic here .

From what I have tried out on a few games; 3.25 is actually more stable than 3.99. 3.25 runs smoother and faster...

Clements

willchu said:
From what I have tried out on a few games; 3.25 is actually more stable than 3.99. 3.25 runs smoother and faster...

True, but 3.99 is more accurate with less wrapper issues.

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
Rice said:
It is actually very nice to know that 1964.099 has JPEG decoding problem with this game, thanks, Gonetz, both 1964 0.99 and the video plugin need to be fixed for this game.
Wah, we will get new 1964 soon! Great!!!

liteuser

I'll be Back!
Thanks for the info guys Ill try them both and yeah I think 3.25 run smoother and faster as well. and Thanks Gonetz for this new plugin.

willchu

Rice said:
Sure it can be fixed.

Any chance we could have the plugin for OB64 background fixed first (so that we could try it out on PJ64) then forge the 1964 adequately follow? According to "The Lord Gonetz", it might be less difficult to implement the already solved YUV algorithm into the plugin than simultaneously fixing 1964 as in a combination... But anyway, please take your time. Any decision will be up to your majesty!!

Rice

Emulator Developer
It is already implemented at my hand, but I don't feel it is necessary to do a new release just for it. Are there really many people want to play this game? I should thank Gonetz so much to find the 1964 JPEG decompression problem.

willchu

Rice said:
It is already implemented at my hand, but I don't feel it is necessary to do a new release just for it. Are there really many people want to play this game? I should thank Gonetz so much to find the 1964 JPEG decompression problem.

I don't know weather there are many people want this game done (but I do :)), but I guess if your majesty has implement YUV algorithm as a new feature in your plugin, the version of Rice 5.5.0b2 might have to be changed... Each of the stepwise improvement is respectably the state of the art in emulation. Although, it can never be perfect, but every single step is a major change from imperfection. In other words, The release of Rice 5.5.0b3 is a major step of a minor modification, but one of the minor steps of the milestone... 1964 v1.0beta might sounds like a mere beta release Or it can be treated as a friendship release contributed to "The Lord Gonetz" for the imporvement of 1964 from JPEG decompression problem solution! :D After all, this is just a suggestion :) your majesty...

Last edited:
OP
A

adaml75

Yes, Rice, please! Release it - it can be just a minor upgrade (but quite major for me). Look at how many people are looking into this thread and how often this subject comes up on the forum! I was waiting for years for it - and I am pretty sure it wasn't only me... I can't think about any suitable expression of my gratitude, but what would you say if I send you a nice postcard from my country? ;-)

Adam

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
adaml75 said:
Yes, Rice, please! Release it - it can be just a minor upgrade (but quite major for me). Look at how many people are looking into this thread and how often this subject comes up on the forum! I was waiting for years for it - and I am pretty sure it wasn't only me... I can't think about any suitable expression of my gratitude, but what would you say if I send you a nice postcard from my country? ;-)

Adam

This is a great game. Is different than all other N64 games. We can entertain many and many ours with this game!!!!!!! I agree with adaml75.

willchu

Nighty0 said:
This is a great game. Is different than all other N64 games. We can entertain many and many ours with this game!!!!!!! I agree with adaml75.

This is absolutely right!! This game is legendary!!! I think this is the reason why Gonetz has spent hours on developing the right fitting for this game, just to make this game more enjoyable. Personally, I am a PC games fans; rarely, I play any console games, but OgreBattle series are games which stand out independent of platforms. Final verdict, this game is a must to everyone who has fingers (despite the number of fingers) :)

After Rice came out with the screen shot of this game emulated by 1964 1.0beta, I feel like walking on hot sand with my bare feet - irresistably jumping up and down... :D lol

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Rice said:

Sadly, yeah. Have you looked at the PJ64 forums? It's littered with messages asking how to get this game to work. There would be a lot more people using this emu if you can manage to fix that one problem. This game seems to be one of the most liked for the N64.