What's new

Glide64 Problem.. (Urgent!)

Jademalo

When i load up paper mario, it used to run slow on certain points. (title screen file select, going into battle, sushis tidal wave)

Now for some reason, it just crashes at those points. dead.

does anyone have a solution to this? i think glide is amazing btw :p

The only thing i did was change PJ64's default memory from 4 to 8.. it worked fine for 5 mins, but then my comp ran out of battery (Hillarious...) and after that, nothing worked. i changed it back to 4 and still nothing. i deleted the settings file for pj64 and replaced the Glide config, and still no.

Any help?

~Jademalo~

Legend

Well, since you are one of the enlightened ones, I'll try to help you out. ;) Glide64 is amazing and hopefully you can get it that way again. First, start by downloading the files from my signature and replace all 3 of your files with mine here. Tell me how it went.

And as always, post your fregin' computer specs!:p

Last edited:
OP
J

Jademalo

Didnt work.. evrytime i get to some of the more grphically challenging areas, it says the plugin has caused an exception..

it never used to, and i even uninstalled absolutley everything to do with PJ64.. im gonna try some other things in a min..

not even 1964 works with it...

it used to slow down, but now it dies...

*Sob*

System Info

Sony Vaio VGN-FS315E
Graphics Card: How do i find it?
Sound Card: same as video
Ram: 512MB
CPU: Intel Celeron 1.60Ghz

Last edited:

Legend

Didnt work.. evrytime i get to some of the more grphically challenging areas, it says the plugin has caused an exception..

it never used to, and i even uninstalled absolutley everything to do with PJ64.. im gonna try some other things in a min..

not even 1964 works with it...

it used to slow down, but now it dies...

*Sob*

System Info

Sony Vaio VGN-FS315E
Graphics Card: How do i find it?
Sound Card: same as video
Ram: 512MB
CPU: Intel Celeron 1.60Ghz

1. Go to Start->Run->type "Dxdiag" and then you should fine your graphics card info. Then go get the latest drivers for it.

2. Try turning off "Smart Reading" in the Glide64 config and see if it still happens.

3. Go to the Forums in my sig or to the Glide64 home and try the version before last of the plugin and the included official wrapper.

4. If it still gives you a problem, copy and paste your thread here to a thread in the forums in my sig and I'm sure that someone, if not the Glide64 author himself, will help you out. But you need to note where this occurs, try to get a screenshot or a savestate.

OP
J

Jademalo

Smart reading worked!!

but it turned off everything else too...

thanks for your help :)

EDIT: i fixed the turns everything else off problem, but now mario goes black, and there is no dynamic lighting at all. (i was playing it on my friends 64 the other day, so i know how it should be)

Using the old plugins, Mario was black in the sewers etc.
Before, when the plugin was working, it was just normal mario.
Then it broke and i looked at my friends game in the dynamic lighting areas and it was dark mario.
Now when i turned off smart reading its just black mario.

What exactly is smart reading?

Last edited:

Legend

If you could please specify the exact area or moment or provide a savestate, then that would allow Gonetz to fix this issue before the next release, which should hopefully be soon. Thanks.

OP
J

Jademalo

The exact area of the Plugin exception being caused is when you first start up paper mario and go into the file select screen, when you select a file, it crashes.

When you go into a bttle and the star effect comes, it crashes

when you do sushis tidal wave attack, it crashes.

tyare all areas of high-requirement graphics.

In the sewers, mario i either black or normal, not dynamicallit like he should be.

is that ok?

Legend

The exact area of the Plugin exception being caused is when you first start up paper mario and go into the file select screen, when you select a file, it crashes.

When you go into a bttle and the star effect comes, it crashes

when you do sushis tidal wave attack, it crashes.

tyare all areas of high-requirement graphics.

In the sewers, mario i either black or normal, not dynamicallit like he should be.

is that ok?

Hate to tell you, but with defaults (smart reading on and all the FB effects) I don't have some of these issues.

1. It does not crash for me on startup of a save file
2. When star effects are used in battle its fine
3. I used the beautiful Tidal wave attack and no crash
4. The end fight with bowser I think counts as a high-requirment graphics and its fine
5. I can't get to sewers right now but mario should be working correctly with dynamic shadows

So for me, no error messages. So it looks as if it's something to do with your setup somewhere. In the wrapper config, try toggling some of the checkboxes. Or take a look at you graphics card settings real good.

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
“smart reading” option enables frame buffer emulation. If the game does not crash with smart reading off, you have problems with frame buffer effects emulation. Most of game effects will not work without frame buffer emulation, so set it off only as the last resort. What else can help:
1. If you use latest version of the wrapper, in wrapper options try to check/uncheck “use framebuffer objects” This option enables different methods of hardware frame buffer emulation. Set off “Do not use auxiliary buffers” option.
2. The game seems to be very sensitive to cheats. If you use any cheat, it may randomly crash. Thus, if you ever used any cheats during the game, you have to start from the very beginning, and this time try to beat the game without help of cheats.
3. Update/reinstall your drivers
4. If nothing helps, disable hardware frame buffer emulation. All effects will work, but some will work very slowly.

OP
J

Jademalo

Ok. I reinstalled my drivers, set off framebuffer objects and hardware, and its back to how it was. thanks!! :)

Great Plugin :)

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
“use framebuffer objects” option switches between different methods of hardware frame buffer emulation. It should not affect plugin at all, if you also set hardware frame buffer emulation off. May be your drivers have a problem with frame buffer objects, as this feature is not well supported by all hardware. Try to enable hardware frame buffer emulation again, may be this time it will work.

OP
J

Jademalo

Tried Again, and no sorry :(

Here are my specs:

spercsnv1.png

Here is the "Black Mario" thing. i configured everything to get it to work, ad hee is the comparrison.

Glide has none at all, while jabo is perfect (i seen an n64. jabos only good for fixin that away)
Rice is in the middle. theres a bit, but not much.

Th ting is, its dark to the left, and light to the rignt.

see what i mean?

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
Could you please try this and post the output? I'm not too familiar with that integrated board, but this app I coded should give exactly what wrapper features your card supports.