What's new

Aristotle's Mudlord & Rice Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

h4tred

Of course he does.

You just need to find out where memory is allocated incorrectly and fix the bug. :borg: We can't all do everything for others: things like this in order to be a learning experience need to be done on one's own. Or more study into C++ programming and memory allocation is needed.

--mud.

Rice

Emulator Developer
Besides programming skills, you / we also need debugging skills. I was using Visual Studio / Visual C++ IDE to develop the plugin. I have both release and debug projects setup, and I used the DEBUG project for the development, and used RELEASE only for release purpose.

With the DEBUG project, I could place breakpoints in the code, to run the game, and to stop wherever I need, or to stop when exceptions/problems happens. In this way, I can directly see where the code breaks, and why. I don't know what kind of development IDE you are using now, but you should understand that the debugging is very important part of coding / programming / developing.

I have also a DEBUG window automatically enabled in the DEBUG version of the plugin. You will have full control of the plugin. You could step by step run the ucodes, and even to automatically pause it at many conditions, or to dump texture, to display the vertex data, etc. If you have never used it, and you shall try it. (I remember that they tried to disable such features for the plugin because they tried to develop it under LINUX. I don't know if the debugging features are still in the code, or already broken)

Thinking about you are blind if you code in the RELEASE project, and you have full power in the DEBUG mode.

BTW, if you do not have Microsoft Visual Studio / C++, you could download them from MS. The express version is free and is more than enough for this project. I don't want to debate where we should love or hate Microsoft and their products. At least for me, virtual studio is a better developing IDE out there than most Linux based or free products.

I used visual sourcesafe to keep tracking my changes. It of course gives me options to roll back to previous versions / dates if some problems come out. You shall be thinking to put the project under certain kind of version control systems, like CVS. Otherwise, you will quickly lose control of the problems, and eventually lose control of the entire project.

These are my general suggestions. Good day.

Last edited:
P

Pokemaniacs

Aristotle,
I am a novice and tried to remove OGL for practice using your source.
After the compilation, the following dialog box is missing :
"OpenGL", "Texture Enhancement", "Game Default Options", "Current Game Options".
Although OB64 & others can run but certain background texture is black.

The following is removed from Aristotle Video Plugin.vcproj :
Combiner(OpenGLCombiner), Device(OGLDevice), Render(OpenGL), Texture(OGLTexture), Header Files (glext.h, glh_extension_ati.h, glh_genext.h, wglext.h)

If you have time, can you give me some advice as to where I have gone wrong.
TIA

OP
A

Aristotle900

Aristotle,
I am a novice and tried to remove OGL for practice using your source.
After the compilation, the following dialog box is missing :
"OpenGL", "Texture Enhancement", "Game Default Options", "Current Game Options".
Although OB64 & others can run but certain background texture is black.

The following is removed from Aristotle Video Plugin.vcproj :
Combiner(OpenGLCombiner), Device(OGLDevice), Render(OpenGL), Texture(OGLTexture), Header Files (glext.h, glh_extension_ati.h, glh_genext.h, wglext.h)

If you have time, can you give me some advice as to where I have gone wrong.
TIA

Off topic: I actually haven't had much time lately. Been quite busy. XD I too am a Novice when it comes to Windows programming and DirectX, plus Nintendo 64 programming. ;) Btw, been reading up on the documentation more and learning more on programming in Windows, when I've had the chance too.

Pokemaniacs: Okay, OpenGL is part of the overall functionality, just as much as Direct3D is. I don't think it's a good idea to remove ether, rather better idea to try to correct rendering code, and CRC problems and such, since many members use both rendering systems anyway.

Hmm, the debug version..It won't even compile for me in debug mode. I guess I'll work on that right away so everyone can use the debug version too.

Yogi: You're right..Nothing is downloading for me at that stupid site. :( I guess I'll try another later and update the last link in my first post. I don't have the other versions, I've been using these file sharing sites to archive past versions.

Last edited:

death--droid

I'll upload my version in a minute :p

My edit log is:
+ Added HQ2xS and LQ2xS filters by mudlord
+ Added a ability to check if texture is already in hires folder.
- Removed JPEG support.

Donwload

Last edited:
OP
A

Aristotle900

I'll upload my version in a minute :p

My edit log is:
+ Added HQ2xS and LQ2xS filters by mudlord
+ Added a ability to check if texture is already in hires folder.
- Removed JPEG support.

Donwload

Cool Death Droid! I'll add your code changes and additions to this version once I can get the debug version of the code to compile. :D

I actually think it could be something to do with my configuration of things.. Hmm.

microdev

There was a bug with texture CRC calculation in original RiceVideo sources. Looking into the change log, I think that it is still there. The problem is that CRC of 4bit CI textures depends on state of "Full TMEM emulation" option.

As the result, palette CRC depends on "Full TMEM emulation". Thus, if you dumped textures with "Full TMEM emulation" off, your replacements for 4bit textures will not be loaded if "Full TMEM emulation" is on, unless tile.dwPalette is not zero.

I think, this bug must be fixed. However, all texture pack, which were dumped with "Full TMEM emulation" off, will not work after fix.

Does someone have the possibility to provide such a texture dumped with "Full TMEM emulation"=off that won't load under "Full TMEM emulation"=on along with a savestate that should display this texture?

thx,

microdev

P

Pokemaniacs

Aristotle,

I have created the debug version using VC++ 2008 express but I have to add libcmtd.lib and msvcrtd.lib to the linker and ignore libcmt.lib and msvcrt.lib. The output is RiceVideoDebugger.dll.

I have also stripped out the OGL from your source and working (seems that certain OGL codes cannot be removed).

Now I can start to learn C++, VC++ and hopefully windows programming.

gitech

N64 Artist
Does someone have the possibility to provide such a texture dumped with "Full TMEM emulation"=off that won't load under "Full TMEM emulation"=on along with a savestate that should display this texture?

thx,

microdev

Hi microdev,

My CLOD pack was done without any TMEM emulation option on so it will work for your testing purposes. Textures that appear and disappear are all over, including in the text window and HUD so a save state is not really necessary. ;)

Download: CLOD PACK AS OF 12-30-08

Note: This is a quick "AS IS" pack. It's still not done but it is my most recent work up to that point.

Later,
Jay

microdev

Hi microdev,

My CLOD pack was done without any TMEM emulation option on so it will work for your testing purposes. Textures that appear and disappear are all over, including in the text window and HUD so a save state is not really necessary. ;)

Download: CLOD PACK AS OF 12-30-08

Note: This is a quick "AS IS" pack. It's still not done but it is my most recent work up to that point.

Later,
Jay

Thanks Jay. But do you maybe have a single texture that shows this effect? As I don't know your pack as good as you, I also don't know which textures should appear... That's why I would need a sample texture that would show this effect in order to find a way to 1. avoid that effect in the future and 2. also support the loading of "malformed" packs. I really think that a solution for both conditions has to be found as for many packs there is no support anymore. I already have something in mind but to prove it true I need a sample.

(the texture name is important)

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi Guys,

A group has been started on Facebook to encourage the TV show "Extreme Makeover Home Edition" to re-build the Wielinski family's house in Clarence NY. You know...the house that Continental Flight 3407 crashed into.

Check it out guys, it won't cost you anything but your time ;) : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=51026313449#

Let me know if the link works for you.

Take care,
Jay

PS: I'll get that to you later microdev, sorry. ;)

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Hi Guys,

A group has been started on Facebook to encourage the TV show "Extreme Makeover Home Edition" to re-build the Wielinski family's house in Clarence NY. You know...the house that Continental Flight 3407 crashed into.

Check it out guys, it won't cost you anything but your time ;) : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=51026313449#

Let me know if the link works for you.

Take care,
Jay

PS: I'll get that to you later microdev, sorry. ;)

just signed it
move that bus!!!!! =]

Mantorok

I don't understand the need to get a TV show involved, shouldn't the airline be paying for the house to be rebuilt?

gitech

N64 Artist
Didn't realize this thread has become "Talk of the Town".

Hi Pokemaniacs,

Because my new job is only a couple of miles from where flight 3407 went down. My Aunt Debby and her family live just 10's of blocks away and both of my grandparents, Lois and Robert grew up and met just about 10 houses down the street from the crash, on Long St in Clarence NY.

My heart goes out to the all the victims and their families.

and I still have yet to find out if I know any of them so...

It's different when it hits close to home.

Besides, Aristotle and I are good friends and I'm sure he doesn't mind another member sharing his condolences with his friends.

Take care and TTYL,
Jay

OP
A

Aristotle900

Hi Pokemaniacs,

Because my new job is only a couple of miles from where flight 3407 went down. My Aunt Debby and her family live just 10's of blocks away and both of my grandparents, Lois and Robert grew up and met just about 10 houses down the street from the crash, on Long St in Clarence NY.

My heart goes out to the all the victims and their families.

and I still have yet to find out if I know any of them so...

It's different when it hits close to home.

Besides, Aristotle and I are good friends and I'm sure he doesn't mind another member sharing his condolences with his friends.

Take care and TTYL,
Jay

I don't mind, just becareful though, I don't think it's okay to post too much offtopic things. Which reminds me, feel free to PM me people. ;)

As for me doing anything on the plugin, the project is all halt for me. Getting more RAM memory now, about 512MBs to go along with my 256MBs. Also been VERY busy with real life stuff at the moment. But I'll be around. ;)

Also, created a second partition on my hard drive, and testing the plugin with the two emulators, and I too are running into many runtime file problems, and even memory access violations..Why this doesn't happen on my current install of windows (The install I've been using for a long time, I have lots of programs and runtime files installed and such) I think is because of everything I always use and install, helps fix these problems. This is what I'm currently looking into, is repairing these errors so everyone that could use Mudlords latest version, can use my version and other's versions, with this source code.

And I think Rice is right about the memory problem. And also, I still think it would be best to rewrite the texture handling and dumping code, and make a new handling system for it, which unfortently will make it uncompatible with everyone's texture packs...Unless both cores are kept and an option to switch between them, I think would be best, if everyone would mind converting their texture packs to a new format, from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.