What's new

Normmatt's DeSmuME v0.3.5 WIP 1

Federelli

Beta Tester
Nice blog :D, i'd like it if you went more into showing parts of code and perhaps show what you changed :).
I'm also new to ARM asm and would like to learn some :D.

You could also perhaps show us some tutorials, or make some yourself :p.

spotanjo3

synch said:
In case anyone cares, here's some technical details about what I'm working on:

http://shashemudev.blogspot.com/

Good luck. I know Normmatt tolds me about you on Instant Message. I wish you the best of luck with him. Working with him is better than alone, keep up the good work.

The reason Normmatt tolds me is because he knows that I test everything for his and yop yop's emulator. But some people test it as well. ;)

Cheers,

Rockmangames:bouncy:

synch

Federelli said:
Nice blog :D, i'd like it if you went more into showing parts of code and perhaps show what you changed :).
I'm also new to ARM asm and would like to learn some :D.

That'd would be really hard to do, and I don't have enough free time, sorry. I'll try to go into deeper details, so people with more knowledge will undestand better the changes.

Federelli said:
You could also perhaps show us some tutorials, or make some yourself :p.

Well, the better reference is http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm. It is THE GBA/NDS programming (and emulating) guide. Actually, he has a few more documents in his web, all very detailed and accurate.

About writing tutorials myself, I tend not to be a good teacher, so for now I'll pass :p

Federelli

Beta Tester
That's great Synch, thanks a lot. And good luck with your intense debugging.

My god, that guide is something like: Here's all the stuff, now program it. There's not much undocumented stuff.

Seems like WLAN is the only remaining mistery.

Nice job adding the missing 3D commands and fixing transparency and other things :p

Last edited:

Low Lines

Synch this looks very promising, and also very good timing I think with you and Normmatt hepling each other out. Can anyone confirm for me if No$GBA handles textures properly, because of the games (not demos) I tested that used 3D textures, I think we are looking at a step ahead of the commercial emulator :unsure:

But don't push yourself for time if you have other things to do, (in other words don't spend too many days at once working on it) there is no rush for it or anything and apart from No$GBA this is about the most happening on NDS emulation in a while ;)

synch

I cannot confirm, as I haven't tested no$gba yet. If can get it to work (have to read the documentation and the information around this forums) I'd be able to answer. As a detail, more ontopic, I handle all the texture formats minus a compressed one, that'll be implemented when I find a rom that uses it :)

Low Lines

synch said:
I cannot confirm, as I haven't tested no$gba yet. If can get it to work (have to read the documentation and the information around this forums) I'd be able to answer. As a detail, more ontopic, I handle all the texture formats minus a compressed one, that'll be implemented when I find a rom that uses it :)

name a demo/game that uses the textures you've fixed, and then maybe someone could test it on No$GBA? I don't think homebrew demos can be encrypted can they? Anyone confirm that?

diablow

Homebrews don't need to be encrypted, as they are designed to run from flashcards in GBA slot, bypassing the encryption.

ninja1

Low Lines said:
name a demo/game that uses the textures you've fixed, and then maybe someone could test it on No$GBA? I don't think homebrew demos can be encrypted can they? Anyone confirm that?

on the fix, prolly pretty much every game, since he fixed a crapload of bugs in the core itself, it should pretty much have effect (In a good sense) on every game, dont know though till we see it :)

Low Lines

oh okay, but still it would be good to be specific on which demo to test in case of the odd chance synch hasn't tested it before ;)

[EDIT]

Here's little bit of stuff for you lot to look at....Here's a bit of an example of the progression that is happening with DeSmuME at the moment. Though keep in mind these aren't from the latest codebase that synch has been working on but it's a good start just to show how things are getting along ;) Thanks to Normmatt

Madden 2005 (U)
1) Using the initial 3D core that Normmatt added
2) 3D core improved by Synch (note how the colors are correct)
View attachment 33817View attachment 33821

Madden 06 (U)
1) Using the initial 3D core that Normmatt added
2) 3D core improved by Synch (note how the colors are correct)
View attachment 33823View attachment 33822

Fifa 06 & Asphalt Urban GT on the older 3D core
View attachment 33819View attachment 33818

Last edited:

diablow

Very nice, just can't wait to see what final release of DeSmuME will be able to do. As I see on screenshots, the performance is on the low side, is that right?

synch

Performance is right now not a must for me, I'm way more interested in getting 3D running correctly.

Low Lines

synch said:
Performance is right now not a must for me, I'm way more interested in getting 3D running correctly.
Does that include lighting Synch? cos I noticed some games (like Aspahlt Urban GT) just showed a black screen, which I am assuming is because there is no lighting implemented. Might I suggest having a wireframe option as a temporary thingo so 3D emulation can be identified? (not asking, just trying to help ;))

synch

Lighting is "working", but seems a bit buggy. If you have any of the libnds samples handly, you'll be able to see it in the paletted cube sample, for example. Is in the works, give me a bit more time, I've only worked on this for 6 days :p

Low Lines

synch said:
Lighting is "working", but seems a bit buggy. If you have any of the libnds samples handly, you'll be able to see it in the paletted cube sample, for example. Is in the works, give me a bit more time, I've only worked on this for 6 days :p
Hey I'm innocent :unsure: Just trying to get straight to the problems so you know what do look at, I'm lucky enough to even get to test the old 3D core. =] I'm not complaining, homework is what you complain about, which is what I got lots of right now :(

synch

The main problem you'll probably encounter with comercial roms, is that I just haven't tested any, that'll come in the future. Right now the "improved" 3D core only applies to the little demos that come with the open source sdk (devkitpro). The main reason of just testing them, is that they've source availabe, and are usually just one effect (one 3D cube, one teapot, etc). They're easier to debug and find the problems.

About the wireframe, I don't think it'll fix anything, disabling lights AND lighting properties (materials) would probably do, but right now is not a priority on my list (fixing is better than hacking a solution, imho). And probably disabling transparencies would give better graphical output right now.

Oh, and consider the 3D core, extreme alpha, original yopyop core was rather crippled.

EDIT: I'll eat my words, just added a menu option for wireframe (and disables lighting and blending)

Last edited: